If you’re looking for a cocktail as refreshing as a breezy summer night, look no further. The Sweet Basil is truly made for summer. It shines a flavorful spotlight on Lillet, a less commonly used wine aperitif. Beware: if you’re not a fan of basil you should probably skip this sip. However, if you can’t get enough of this green herb, pair your Sweet Basil cocktail alongside a light summer salad garnished with tomatoes, mozzarella and a light vinaigrette. Oh, and a little extra basil can’t hurt.
1 martini glass to serve your drink
1 extra glass for first strain
11 basil leaves
3 oz. Lillet Blanc
½ oz. gin
1 oz. simple syrup
- Lightly muddle 10 basil leaves in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice, Lillet, gin and simple syrup.
- Shake it like a polaroid picture.
- Strain the mixture into the extra glass.
- Strain again into your chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with the last basil leaf.
Note – It’s important to strain your Sweet Basil twice. This extra strain helps prevent little muddled bits of basil from floating around in your drink. Sure, a little nibble of fresh basil may taste refreshing, but getting green leaves in your teeth is less than cute.