The Top International Cuisines that Pair Well with Wine
When you’ve got a hankering for something international – which route do you go?
We asked our Bright Cellars community what kind of international cuisine is best to pair with wine, and here are the results.
- 72.1% of respondents said Italian food is best with wine.
- 14% of respondents prefer French cuisine and wine.
- 4.5% of respondents like to pair Chinese food and wine.
- 2.8% of respondents said Greek pairs well with wine.
- 2.5% of respondents chose Thai food.
- 2.5% of respondents said Mexican food is best with wine.
- 1.7% of respondents like to pair Indian food and wine.
We also asked our Bright Cellars Instagram community, and we received some more answers:
- A spicy Thai curry with some Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand ???? ????
- Chocolate ????
- Every single one of them!
We love the idea of chocolate as an international cuisine – perhaps from Latin America or Belgium?
We should’ve known Italian food would sweep the table. From hearty pastas to warm pizzas and rich antipasti, it seems every dish craves a wine partner. Plus, Italy makes more wine than the rest of the world, so it’s only natural that they lay the standard for wine pairings.
When pairing wine and food, we always follow a saying, “What grows together goes together” Basically, if a wine and food come from the same region, they’re destined to pair smoothly. Therefore, Italian wines tend to bode best for Italian dishes. If you’re new to the world of Italian wine, check out our beginner’s guide. We’ve actually put together an entire Wine and Pizza Pairing Guide that walks you through every topping under the Tuscan sun.
The Italian approach to drinking wine is simple – Dolce far niente. In Inglese that means, “pleasantly doing nothing.” The Italians take their wine consumption seriously – they view it as an experience. So if you’re planning on truly drinking wine like the Italians do, clear your schedule, relax, and enjoy the ride.
IN VINO FINITO
While Italian food seems to be the most popular pairing for our beloved vino, there are still endless cuisine/wine combos to be found! What’s your favorite food and wine pairing? Let us know in the comments below!
Missed this week’s poll and want to get in on the next one? Subscribe to our newsletter, Glass Half Full.