Winter weather is the perfect time to pull out the slow-cooker, dust it off, and start making your favorite no-maintenance meals! Here are 8 slow cooker recipes and wine pairings perfect for a simple weeknight meal, appetizer, or dessert.The best part about using a slow cooker is that you can throw in all the ingredients and then let it do its thing! Another great thing about slow cookers is you can make a wide variety of different appetizers, meals, or desserts! Since it is cooked slowly, the flavors are bold and should be paired with a wine that will elevate the flavors even more.
1. Cheese FondueThis simple cheese fondue recipe features white wine, Gruyere cheese, and Swiss cheese! This fondue recipe goes perfectly with a Pinot Noir! This light-bodied red wine has flavor notes of raspberry, clove, and mushroom. These flavors along with the garlic and ooey gooey cheese flavors from the fondue will pair nicely together. Try this pairing with a glass of Bright Cellars' own Nihilist Pinot Noir. This wine's flavors of red raspberry, plum, and vanilla will cut through the creamy cheese flavors from the fondue.
2. Turkey ChiliIn our opinion, slow cooker chili is the best thing since sliced bread! This turkey chili recipe is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. Chili is a very versatile dish that can be paired with a variety of different wines. If you’re going for a more mild chili, try a Shiraz. If you love to add on the spice, try a glass of Cava or Riesling. Rosé is also great for chili because it walks that fine line between a white or a red. Which means it can cut through the spice or elevate the mild flavors.
Our go-to is a mild turkey chili, so our favorite wine to pair with this is the Bushtelly Shiraz. This bold Australian red wine has flavor notes of blackberry, raspberry, and smoke.
3. French Dip SandwichesClassic French dip sandwiches are made from fresh French baguettes with thinly sliced roast beef and melted cheese! Dip (or drown) your sandwich in au jus sauce to add a little something extra! The best pairing for this slow cooker recipe would be a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. The rich flavor notes of baking spices, cedar, and black cherry will pair perfectly with the melted cheeses and roast beef on your sandwich. Our favorite wine for this pairing is Bright Cellars’ Meet Cute Cabernet Sauvignon. This full-bodied red wine features flavors of cherry, black currant, and baking spices.
4. Chicken, Steak, or Pork FajitasFajitas are a great way to spice up your taco Tuesday or maybe we can make Fajita Friday a thing! Whether your go to is chicken, steak, or pork slow cooker fajitas are simple and scrumptious. If you’re thinking chicken fajitas are the way to go try pairing them with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. The green flavors from the Sauvignon Blanc will go nicely with the green pepper and other spices in the fajitas. Our favorite vino for chicken fajitas is Bright Cellars’ Azuli Sauvignon Blanc.
This vino has flavor notes of lemon, white peach, and basil. If steak is what you’re going for, try a glass of Zinfandel! The flavor notes of blackberry, strawberry, and cinnamon will give this pairing a savory-sweet flavor. For the pork, try an Argentinian Malbec! This red wine has flavor notes of red plum, blackberry, and vanilla. The Malbec’s fruit forward flavors will go nicely with the mild pork fajitas.
5. Cranberry Pork RoastThis cranberry pork roast recipe is great for either a simple weekend date night dinner or for when you’re attempting to impress you soon-to-be in laws. Put a bottle of Pinot Noir on the table for the perfect pairing! The cranberry flavors in the dish will elevate the flavors in the Pinot Noir and vise versa.
6. Zesty Italian ChickenWhat makes this Italian Chicken recipe so zesty is the zesty Italian dressing mixed that is used! This simple slow cooker chicken recipe can be thrown together in the morning and when you get home it is hot and ready for you to eat! Try pairing it with a glass of Pinot Grigio. This flavor notes of lemon zest, white peach, and almond will go perfectly with the zesty and creamy Italian sauce.
We love this recipe with Bright Cellars’ Sprig and Rose Pinot Grigio. The bright acidity and crisp flavors of green apple, lemon, and honey in this wine will bring out the zest flavors in the Italian chicken.
7. Caramel FondueEnd your meal in the best way – with some caramel fondue! Try pairing this slow cooker dessert with a Moscato D'Asti. The sweet bubbles from the Moscato will cut through the sweetness from the caramel fondue.
8. Slow Cooker Chocolate CakeChocolate is everything! This tasty slow cooker chocolate cake is the perfect way to curb your sweet tooth craving! Pair this cake with a glass of Gewürztraminer. This semi-sweet white wine has flavor notes of lychee, pineapple, and peach will elevate the chocolate flavors from the cake!
Our favorite wine of this recipe is Bright Cellars’ Dreamlet Gewürztraminer. This semi-sweet white wine has flavor notes of lychee, lemon zest, and peach. Looking to add something a little extra to your chocolate cake? Here are some other ways to pair wine and chocolate.