4 Healthy Homemade Dips and Wine Pairings
For this post, we teamed up with Misfits Market, our favorite purveyors of organic and ugly produce, to whip up 4 healthy dips and pair them with wine. These dips all use vegetables as their base, so you know they're healthy.
The best part? Our friends at Misfits Market are offering YOU 25% off your first subscription box of their organic and ugly produce. Just click here and use code BRIGHT25. Now keep scrolling for 4 easy homemade dips and wine pairings!
Looking for a healthy happy hour snack? Try these 4 healthy homemade dips and then pair it with the perfect wine! If you’re anything like us, you have a bunch of fresh produce in the fridge that you totally intended to eat, but now is juuuust on the edge of needing to be tossed. Don’t fret – we’ve got you covered. Check out how to whip up your veggies (and fruit!) into some flavorful dips to go with tonight’s bottle of vino. All you’ll need is some basic stuff you already have in the kitchen. Scroll down for some simple and delicious dip recipes with wines to match.
Farm Fresh Produce Delivered to Your Door
Ever heard of “ugly produce?” We’re talking about little baby onions, quirky potatoes, and carrots that got twisted together (because they fell in love!) This slightly unusual looking – but still totally nutritious – produce is absolutely fine to eat, but is usually discarded because grocery stores don’t want to stock it. Thankfully, Misfits Market scoops up those funny-looking fruits and veggies straight from the farms where they’re grown and brings them right to you – for a fraction of the price you’d pay at the grocery store. They even sell grocery store items and pantry staples that are 25-50% cheaper than retail prices! If you want to try a box of some high-quality organic produce from Misfits Market, click here and use promo code BRIGHT25 for 25% your first subscription box! Now: let's get dippin'!
Pairing Vino with Healthy Homemade Dips
1. Mango SalsaWhether you’re looking for a homemade salsa to spoon onto your tacos, or just want a new dip to enjoy with some tortilla chips, this mango salsa is here to blow your mind. Pair this mango salsa with a crisp white wine like Azuli Sauvignon Blanc 2019, a bright and citrusy Chilean Sauvignon blanc with notes of green apple and peach. Ingredients:
- 1 mango
- 1 small onion
- Lemon or lime juice
- A carton of grape tomatoes
- A handful of cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
2. Fresh Ziki Dip
Want to travel to Santorini…if only in your mind? This easy homemade tzatziki is amazing with some fresh baked pita chips or on top of a flavorful Mediterranean salad.When choosing a vino to accompany this dip, you’re going to want a wine with soft tannins to cut through the tangy yogurt. Try it with Obscura Pinot Noir 2018, a jammy California Pinot with ripe fruit flavors of raspberry, black cherry, and strawberry. This lemony, peppery dip also pairs well with a crisp white wine like Assyrtiko or a fragrant white wine like an off-dry Riesling or Gewürztraminer. Ingredients:
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
Directions: Grate the cucumber, mince the garlic, and combine these in a bowl with the greek yogurt, chopped dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Top with an olive oil drizzle. Enjoy.
3. Zucchini Onion DipIf you live for French onion dip, you’re going to love this fresh take on a classic. Enjoy this creamy zucchini dip with chips, or literally just a spoon if you’re like us and can’t get enough. To complement the creaminess of the dip, you’ll want a wine with smooth, structured tannins. Try it with Jumble Sale Cabernet Sauvignon 2018, a red wine with notes of ripe berries and baking spices like nutmeg and clove. Ingredients:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 green onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dried dill
- 1.5 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar
4. Ginger-Cinnamon Fruit DipThis fruity, spiced concoction is basically the perfect dessert dip. Enjoy it with apple and orange slices, and a zingy light-bodied white wine like Sprig & Rose Pinot Blanc 2019. Pinot Blanc is a mutation of Pinot Noir with notes of lemon zest, pear, and crushed gravel. Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/2 orange (zest)